Co-washing is short for conditioner washing, this was first welcomed by African-American women who had curly hair. All thanks to new trends, more women are leaning towards this new technique. Let’s know how this styling method helps improve the issue of thinning hair.
One of the latest trends in the hair-care industry is the use of conditioner instead of shampoo to clean the hair. However, there has been a lot of discussions back and forth to know how it is beneficial. Rumors are also there is not done properly it can cause a lot of problems. So, what exactly this method is and is it really helpful to solve the issue of thin hair?
What is Co-washing?
Co-washing aka conditioner washing, this means the only conditioner is used to rinse and cleanse the scalp. It is said that the method actually makes the hair soft and smooth. This is done to avoid the use of harsh cleaning agents which can cause damage to the shampoo.
If you are not applying oil to massage the hair, the idea of using conditioner can sound crazy for some people. But if you have wavy-curly hair then they need moisture and in that cos-washing is going to make the hair soft and hydrate them. This is true the use of shampoo with harsh chemicals can actually make the hair-thin which eventually leads to hair loss.
Co-washing: Is it effective for thin hair?
There are many articles over the net related to co-washing and encouraging its use to improve the appearance of thin hair. But, there are some dictators also who state the opposite for co-washing.
Advantages of co-washing
- There are various benefits it provides like it cleanses the natural oils and conditions the scalp as well as hair. Using shampoo often can lead to hair fall because of harsh chemical agents.
- With this, your hair will get more volume and it gives the illusion that your hair is thick and healthier.
- It also makes it easy to style the hair easily which is quite difficult with squeaky hair. Additionally, it also helps in preventing breakage and split ends.
Disadvantages of co-washing
- One of the notable disadvantages is that on the hair and scalp it can lead to build-up. Moreover, there will be irritation on the scalp because of residue which turns into hair fall. This problem arises when you do not rinse the hair properly.
- The working of co-washing will depend on whether you are using the right kind of conditioner or not.
But, keep in mind this is not going to solve hair loss issue. In that case, you must seek the help of the doctor for hair loss treatment. After diagnosing the problem the doctor will let you know which option is best for you.