The graph of hair transplant in India is showing upwards trend in the recent years, it means the hair transplant is becoming the popular choice among the people who want to restore their locks and confidence.
If you are also planning to have hair transplant surgery then here is the complete guide for you to enhance your knowledge about hair transplantation
Hair transplant procedure
It is the surgical procedure relies on the basic principle that hair follicles can survive and grow for the lifetime by retaining their properties even after their shifting from one place to other places on the scalp.
In this surgical procedure healthy and loss resistant follicles are examined and selected for harvesting and then these follicles are transplanted in the bald and thinning areas for their lifetime growth.
Types of hair transplant surgery
There are mainly two types of hair transplant surgeries as follows
FUT hair transplant
It is the procedure in which strip or band of hair follicles is harvested and then dissected in the natural grouping of hair that is 1-4 hair. After dissection, grafts in their natural grouping are transplanted in the bald areas for hair restoration.
FUE hair transplant
It is considered as the advanced procedure as in this method, unlike FUT, rather than removing strip individual hair follicles are removed according to their best properties and then these loss resistant follicles are transplanted in the required areas.
Important facts about hair transplant
- Hair transplant is done under the local anesthesia so it is the painless procedure and does not hurt the patient
- FUT surgery can leave the linear scars in the donor site whereas FUE surgery leaves only tiny scars like dots which get healed in few days.
- This procedure can be expensive while paying at one time but it is cost effective if you will compare its one-time cost with the other treatments and medications for which you have to pay at regular intervals.
- You have to wait 3-4 months to get the visible results of this surgery; however, the actual length and growth of transplanted hair can be seen within the year of transplantation surgery.
- It is the one-time procedure. In a few cases, the patient has to take the second session if his requirement is more than 5 thousand grafts for hair restoration.
- This procedure can restore your hair permanently as the loss resistant hair follicles are transplanted during surgery.
- Patients with good general health, stable hair loss and having realistic desires are ideal candidates for this surgery.
- It is the procedure suitable for both men and women.
- There are not as such side effects of the surgery but the patient may have short-term effects like swelling, redness, mild pain in the treated area but all these get vanished in a few days.
What can be alternative options?
There are some alternative treatments options but the suitability and effectiveness for these procedures can only be known after discussing with the doctor
- Medications like Minoxidil and Finasteride can also halt the hair loss and stimulate hair growth
- Some hair loss shampoos and supplements also available in the market that can also give you noticeable results
- ATP marking and micropigmentation are the procedures that can give hair full appearance of the scalp with tattoo making that imitates existing hair of patient.
- Laser treatment is also a non-invasive procedure for hair restoration
PRP therapy can also stimulate hair growth by injecting white blood cells in the scalp of the patient.