What is Hair Loss
Hair loss or alopecia is a condition under which hairs fall significantly that results into psychological trauma in people.
Hair loss has become a very common problem that affects 50% of males and about 25% of females across the world.
- Patches in round shapes
- Skin lesions
It occurs in abnormal hair loss areas such as front side of scalp, above ears and patches in beard etc.
Hair loss types
- Male pattern baldness
- Female pattern baldness
- Alopecia areata
- Hair thinning
Common and uncommon causes of hair loss
- Mental stress/depression
- Hair pulling
- Medication effect including chemotherapy, HIV, malnutrition and anemia
- Radiation therapy
- Changing level of hormones
- Sudden weight change
Male Hair Loss
Hair loss in Men is a very common condition under which hair shafts breaks and stops hair growth. It may occur due to different causes such as thyroid, anemia, lack of protein, chemotherapy and deficiency of vitamins in body. The problem of hair loss persists with increasing age. Hair loss occurs in different types in men and the most common is Alopecia areata. Cosmetic surgeons who are specialized in hair loss problems diagnose this condition to find the possible cause and perform the treatment for hair thinning and loss. Hair transplant is the feasible treatment that offers long lasting and natural hair.
Female Hair Loss
Losing hair in women is more vulnerable than in men as it can severally lower your confidence. Going bald is related with the social stigma for females even some women question whether their beloved will be with them. Hair is like a crown for a woman. So when they notice a significant hair fall, it is important to find the treatment. Expert cosmetic specialists suggest adopting hair transplant procedure that offer natural hair that grow in a normal way. Hair loss treatments such as FUT and FUE are the well popular surgical procedure that have satisfied the females who have faced hair loss.
HAIR LOSS Classification
Hair Loss Stages
Hair growth cycle involves different stages as suggested following:
Anagen is an active growth phase that involves the quick division of the hair follicle. During this phase, hair growth occurs up to 1cm within a month. This phase lasts for two to seven years. During its end time, hair follicle enters to catagen stage due to any unknown reason.
: It is a small stage that describes an end of the active hair growth. Its life is two to three weeks involving transition of hair to a club hair.
This phase describes the resting stage. When your body is under excessive stress, it results into the beginning of Telogen phase. In this stage, hair drop occurs to a significant level named as effluvium.
Hair loss causes
Lack of hormone for example thyroid, a hormone that maintains metabolism, heart rate and mood, causes hair loss.
Genetic hair loss also called as androgenic alopecia is a common type of hair loss that are transferred from mother or father. Chances are more if your both parents had faced hair loss.
3. Stress, illness, and childbirth
Females after pregnancy, sudden weight loss, sickness and extreme stress cause hair fall.
Some times the medicines for specific ailments also cause hair loss.
5. Burns, injuries, and X-rays
Injuries due to accidents, burns and extensive x-r ay exposure result into hair loss in people.
6. Autoimmune disease
Autoimmune disease for example Lupus in which immune system of body attacks the hair follicles. Such disorders create severe fatigue, oral ulcers, fatigue and pain in joints.
7. Cosmetic procedures
Cosmetic options such as over styling, extensive dye use, cosmetic surgeries also result into hair loss as a side effect.
8. Medical conditions
The medical conditions for example anemia, polycystic ovary syndrome and chemotherapy cause your hair loss as a side effect.
Women eating poor quality foods, or lack of iron due to which blood doesn’t contain sufficient red blood cells.
Types of Hair Loss in MEN
Alopecia shows hair loss in the various scalp areas where standard hair growth occurs. Different causes result into different types of hair loss among of which the most common is androgenic alopecia. There are also other types of hair loss as described following:
- Androgenetic Alopecia – It is a characterized pattern of baldness in males that grows with age. It is also found in males seen as genetically transferred. In men, it severally affects the top of scalp. Androgenetic Alopecia results into ostia loss that may occur as scarred hair loss.
- Alopecia Areata –It is a severe inflammatory disorder that targets hair follicles and nails. Due to this disorder, bald patches form on scalp and beard. Hair shapes like exclamation mark can be seen. It equally affects men and women.
- Cicatricial or Scarring Alopecia – This disorder results into persistent hair loss caused by damage of hair roots due to burns or autoimmune problems. It is widely cased by discoid lupus erythematosus. This type of hair loss is related with scarred skin that includes specific kinds of infection for example boils, folliculitis, discoil lupus erythematosus etc.
- Traction Alopecia – It is a type of alopecia that is resulted by pulling the hairs forcefully such as by tying hairs tightly. It is commonly seen in people with long hairs who use barrettes to remove hair fall on their faces. This type of hair fall describes the decline of the hair line caused by constant traction. Additionally extensive use of hair care devices such as hair dryer, irons, hair strengtheners etc
- Trichotillomania- It is a mentally induced problem under which a person is withdrawn to pull out their hairs. It is commonly seen in kids but also lasts in adults. Considering it carefully, twisted and plucked hairs can be seen in spots around the scalp. In the severe cases, it causes scarred alopecia. One of the main causes of this disorder is chemotherapy.
- Telogen effluvium- It occurs as a result of hormonal stress due to which hairs enter into their telogen stage. As soon as the newly developed hairs enter into anagen stage, telogen hairs are removed and this process takes 1-6 months.
In order to cure the hair loss problems, you should look for permanent solution such as hair transplant. So consult our surgeon to discuss your problems. Our skilled surgeons will listen to your problems carefully to suggest the desired treatment.