What is Liposuction?
In liposuction surgery, the excess fat is removed which improves the shape of the body. Liposuction treatment is a cosmetic procedure. The main focus of this treatment is to improve the appearance of an individual.
During the surgery, an instrument is inserted under the skin which is called cannula. Then a vacuum is affixed to the instrument. It breaks up the fat cells and then sucks out the cells from the body. The surgery can be performed on chin, arms, necks, buttocks, abdomens, and thighs.
What is weight loss surgery?
In weight loss surgery excess skin and fat is removed from the lower and middle abdomen. It makes the muscles tight. This surgery is also called Bariatric surgery. After the surgery, the patient will have a large scar on the hip. The recovery time is also longer than the other surgeries. There are different types of Bariatric surgeries such as gastric balloon surgery, lap-band surgery, gastric sleeve surgery, and gastric bypass surgery. The surgery can be done on those patients who are:
- At least 100 pounds overweight
- Body mass index of more than 35.
- Problem related to obesity example: type 2 diabetes
Even after the surgery, you should eat healthy and nutritious food. You should exercise daily to have a long-lasting result of the surgery.
How to choose between the two surgeries?
The common thing between both the surgeries is the preparation of the surgery, anesthesia, and time to recover. The swelling and scarring are normal in both the surgeries. You have to take a few days off from the work to get better.
- After the weight loss surgery, the patient is given a diet plan that will move from a liquid diet to solid food. Patients can attend weight loss support groups which may be conducted in the hospital or somewhere else. The patients should be aware of how much they should eat so that it doesn’t affect the results of the surgery. If you a solution which is long-term and you want to get to your healthy routine then Bariatric surgery is the best option.
- After the liposuction surgery, the patient has to maintain an ideal weight so that the results of the surgery are permanent. After the surgery, the swelling will be there for around four weeks. If you don’t follow the diet chart properly then excess fat will appear on new parts of the body. The patient has to visit the doctor for “touch-ups” and in some cases, the entire process is repeated again. This increases the risk for the patient. So, this treatment is best if you want to minimize a certain area of the body part.